Feb 14 , 2020
- Oats are rich in carbs and fibre, but also higher in protein and fat than most other grains. Oats provide a good source of many vitamins and minerals.
- Oats contain many powerful antioxidants, including avenanthramides. These compounds may help reduce blood pressure and provide other benefits.
- Oats are high in the soluble fibre beta-glucan, which has numerous benefits. It helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness.
- Oats may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol and protecting LDL cholesterol from oxidation.
- Due to the soluble fibre beta-glucan, oats may improve insulin sensitivity and help lower blood sugar levels.
- Oatmeal may help you lose weight by making you feel full for longer. It does this by slowing down the emptying of the stomach and increasing production of the satiety hormone PYY.
- Oats can be a great addition to a healthy diet. They can be eaten as oatmeal (porridge) for breakfast, added to baked goods and more.